Texas Leads the Way: Top 5 Things You Should Know About the Individual Market
By: TAHP | Tuesday, January 30, 2024
Let’s dive in: While most Texans are covered through their employer, millions of Texas’ entrepreneurs, small business owners, and others look for health insurance coverage on their own. That’s where the Affordable Care Act’s (ACA) individual market kicks in, and in Texas, it’s stronger than ever.
1 big thing: This year, Texas hit record-breaking enrollment, with over 3.5 million residents signed up for health insurance through the ACA Health Insurance Marketplace.
- Why it matters: The ACA’s individual market increases coverage, which in turn, increases access. Health insurance helps Texans get preventive care and earlier disease diagnosis, and avoid unnecessary, expensive ER visits. Additionally? Insurance coverage means covered Texans are twice as likely to have their mental health care needs met.
Takeaway #2: Texas is more competitive than ever. For four years running, Texas stands out with the most robust individual health insurance market in the U.S. With 15 insurers offering diverse plan options, the Lone Star State is unmatched in insurer participation.
Takeaway #3: And thanks to competition, coverage is more affordable than ever.
- More competition = more choices = lower premiums: This means that Texans have even more opportunities to select affordable coverage, meeting their family’s care needs and budget.
- Check out this analysis: Competition and Choice in the Health Insurance Marketplaces
Takeaway #4: Individual market enrollment is growing, continuing to prove itself as a solution to address the uninsured.
- The story isn’t over: As the market grows, we expect even more participation and enrollment in the years to come.
- Nearly a third of uninsured Texans are estimated to qualify for a free plan.
Stay updated on the latest TAHP news
Articles written by TAHP’s team of policy experts that examine the research, trends, and impact of the most important health care policy issues facing Texas and the country today.
Weekly news clips assembled by the TAHP team that highlight the top headlines from the health insurance and health care worlds, as well as important political updates.