Testimony Supporting HB 3286: PDL
We write to express our support for HB 3286, which would create new Medicaid prescription drug patient protections by adding exceptions to the HHSC’s preferred drug list (PDL). This bill is crucial as it gives Medicaid patients access to the same exception process that patients have in the private health insurance market. Unfortunately, Texas Medicaid patients do not currently have these same protections and are often forced off medications that work for them, often causing delays and denials of care.
HB 3286 would ensure Texas Medicaid patients will not forced to change to a drug on the state’s Medicaid Preferred Drug List (PDL) if:
- The drug required is contraindicated or will likely cause an adverse reaction
- The drug is expected to be ineffective
- The patient has tried and failed the drug
- The patient is stable on another drug
- The drug is not in the best interest of the patient
See the full letter.