Texans with health insurance coverage have undeniably better health outcomes and access to care than those without.
- We negotiate lower prices with doctors, hospitals, and drug companies and then pass on savings as lower premiums.
- Health coverage encourages preventative care which leads to better health outcomes. Many preventive services—like screenings for cancer, high cholesterol, depression and diabetes—are 100% covered.
- Health plans cover the millions of Texans with preexisting conditions from cancer, to diabetes, to asthma, to chronic pain.
- The variety of health plans in the market means that they are competing to offer the best value and best type of plan for payers.
- The benefits offered by health insurance are regulated and guaranteed unlike other health products which are buyer beware.
- Health plans provide coverage for mental health support.
Doing Our Part
- Health insurance helps keep families and communities healthy. Our health plans serve more than 20 million Texans.
- 82% of Texans are protected by health coverage, with more than 15 million Texans covered by private insurance, mostly through their employers.
- Insurers pay over $2.5 billion in state premium taxes.
- Insurers employ 34,105 Texans with a payroll of $2.4 billion.
- Health insurance is the single largest tax break for employers, valued at over $329 billion nationally—lowering the cost of premiums by 32% for employer.