Last Call for ACA Enrollment: Record-Breaking 3.3 Million Texans Already Signed Up
By: TAHP | Thursday, January 11, 2024
Don’t Miss Out: Open enrollment for the ACA’s individual market ends on Tuesday, January 16, at midnight. This is your final chance this year to secure coverage through healthcare.gov.
Record Enrollment: A record-breaking 3.3 million Texans have already enrolled for coverage, a significant jump from 2.4 million last year and 1.1 million covered in 2020.
What’s driving the increase? It’s all about affordability. Enhanced subsidies introduced two years ago have drastically reduced the cost of coverage.
- Last year, about 95% of Texans received financial assistance, with 60% paying $10 or less per month for insurance.
- This year, it’s estimated that 80% of shoppers in Texas will find plans at $10 or less per month.
Why it’s urgent: If you don’t get coverage at work or through another government program, Monday marks the end of your once-a-year chance to get covered in the marketplace.
- If you miss the window, you’ll have to wait until next November to sign up.
- In some cases, a life event—like having a baby or changing jobs—can qualify you for a special enrollment period.
What’s included? Keep in mind that health insurance in the marketplace is comprehensive and covers care for all pre-existing conditions and a full slate of health care services included as essential health benefits.
Mapping it out: According to new data, of the state’s 254 counties, just 7 have only one insurer. Over 90% of Texans have a choice of 3 or more health plans. Even more noteworthy, just 7 counties now have only one insurer offering coverage, that’s up from 98 in 2018.
What we expect: The jaw dropping increase in enrollment will likely further push down the uninsured rate in Texas, now at 16.6% after big increases in Texans choosing health plans over the past two years.
Opportunity to Lower Uninsured Rates:
- The new Texas 2036 Report reveals a significant opportunity to address Texas’s high uninsured numbers through Healthcare.gov
- Astonishingly, 47% of uninsured Texans are already eligible for heavily subsidized or potentially free coverage in the ACA marketplace.
- This data underscores the potential to drastically reduce the number of uninsured Texans, many of whom may not be aware of their eligibility for affordable health plans.
The Bottom Line: With record enrollment numbers and unprecedented affordability, Texans have more reasons than ever to secure health coverage before the January 16 deadline. Don’t miss this crucial opportunity to join millions of Texans in choosing affordable, comprehensive health care.
Texas can do more: As Texas 2036 highlights, Texas can dramatically reduce our uninsured population by increasing awareness of these affordable health coverage options and making enrollment easier.
Stay updated on the latest TAHP news
Articles written by TAHP’s team of policy experts that examine the research, trends, and impact of the most important health care policy issues facing Texas and the country today.
Weekly news clips assembled by the TAHP team that highlight the top headlines from the health insurance and health care worlds, as well as important political updates.