Harnessing the Potential of Telemedicine
Widespread Benefits of Telemedicine
- Successful diagnosis and treatment: For 97 percent of telemedicine visits, doctors, physician’s assistants, or nurse practitioners are able to make a definitive diagnosis and treatment recommendation.
- Fewer follow-up visits: 90 percent of telemedicine visits require no follow-up care by a primary care physician.
- Less visits to the ER: 80 percent of ER visits are due to patients lacking access to a primary care physician; telemedicine eliminates nearly 1 in 5 ER visits.
- Cost-saver: The average cost of an ER visit is $2,168, while the average cost of a telemedicine visit is just $40.
- Time-saver: The average wait time to get an in-person doctor’s appointment is 20 days, while the average wait time to get a telemedicine visit is just 2 minutes.
As policymakers debate the future of telemedicine in Texas, TAHP will be advocating for free-market principles that allow the telemedicine industry to grow and become a more viable option for Texans to access quality, convenient and low-cost health care services for appropriate medical needs. TAHP does not support limiting access to or stifling the growth of telemedicine through overly restrictive regulations, artificial barriers, or benefit, contract or rate mandates that encourage unnecessary and costly emergency room visits, hospital admissions, tests or procedures, and higher premiums costs for Texans and their employers.
Telemedicine: Increased Access to Quality & Affordable Care
A legislative guide to the benefits and potential of telemedicine, and the need to avoid overly restrictive, one-size-fits all regulations and mandates that hinder the development of this important technology.
Telemedicine has already proven to be an important tool in increasing access to affordable, convenient, quality health care for Texans, but the State’s current regulatory environment is hindering its further development and growth. As access to care continues to be a top challenge in Texas, especially in rural areas, it is critical to encourage innovation and free-market principles that allow the telemedicine industry to grow and become a more viable option for Texans.
Telemedicine: A Resource Guide
A resource guide on the benefits of telemedicine and the importance of expanding this option to increase access to affordable and timely health care to more Texans.
Telemedicine offers a personalized and convenient alternative to visiting an emergency room, urgent care center, or doctor’s office for non-emergency medical needs. The use of telemedicine has already proven successful in reaching rural or underserved populations, helping to better manage chronic conditions, achieving cost-savings for consumers, and reducing the number of unnecessary hospitalizations.
TAHP Recommends Private Market Solutions for Telemedicine’s Future in Texas
A list of TAHP-supported private-market recommendations to prevent overly restrictive government regulations from hindering the growth of telemedicine in Texas.
TAHP believes that Telemedicine legislation should not be prescriptive regarding the technology that providers and patients must utilize. With telemedicine technology continually evolving, a state mandate for a particular type of technology for telemedicine services would limit the options available and those that are still evolving.